Thursday, November 29, 2007
Fiery Chicken Chili
This meal was a hit with Jeff and his best friend, so that means it makes the list for another dinner soon... also, this recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray Everyday.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped (I used 1 1/2, cause Jeff isn't a big fan, and it was plenty for me)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, sauce reserved
3 pounds skinless, boneless, chicken thighs, thinly sliced (I used chicken breast, it's what I had)
Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juice
Three 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
Chopped avocados, cilantro leaves, grated cheddar cheese, chopped scallions and sour cream... for serving. I also used salsa and Lime Tostitos
1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, jntil the onion is softened and the spices are fragrant, about 7 minutes.
2. Stir in the chipotle and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce.
3. Add the chicken and cook stirring, until the meat begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat and simmer the chili briskly, stirring often, until thickened, 25-30 minutes.
5. Add more adobo sauce to taste. Serve with toppings above.