Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Poor Man's Food"


I don't really know the name of this dish, this is just what I called it when Jeremy asked. So the name does this meal no justice. It's a really simple recipe I got from my sister-in-laws cousin that is low cost and with most ingredients on hand. Jeremy thought it was fabulous, especially since I arranged it so "gourmet" on his plate.

Cut beef into strips and brown (I buy whatever is cheapest and load my freezer)
Add:
2 Tbs. oil
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce
Thicken w/ 1 heaping tsp of cornstarch mixed with a little water (make sure no clumps before adding)
Mix in the cornstarch mixture. Let cool 5-10 minutes.

Salad:
-chopped lettuce
-sliced cucumbers
-sliced tomatoes
-slice onions (red or white, whichever you prefer)

Dressing:
1 Tbs. lime juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs. water

Serve layered over rice.

I also added cilantro on top since the dressing involved lime. You will also notice there are no specified amounts for the ingredients. This can be made for the size of your family. I probably used 3/4-1 lb of beef for the two of us. I about tripled the dressing just because it is so delicious to use for other salads.

No comments: